Life Changing Injury

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Update: John Murtari

a moment to vote, a lifetime of change
Posted by: "Teri Stoddard" shared.parenting.works@gmail.com sharedparentingworks
Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:31 pm (PST)
Teri Stoddard here.

My recent article, "John Murtari, Criminal or Loving Father?" was chosen as an Editor's Top Pick and is now a Featured Article under News on Associated Content. Please take a moment to visit this site and vote for my articles. Doing this will help me get recognition for my work and as well as furthering the cause.

A little way down the page on the left hand side you will see this: More by Teri Stoddard.
This will take you to my other published articles. Please, if you can, vote for and/or link to them. If you have a web site, please add my RSS feed.

I'm especially proud of Is He "the loser" or is he "Dad"? and It's Not Your Mother's Fathers Movement Anymore.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and vote. I really appreciate it.
The more people who read our work the more likely we are to force change.

Keep fighting, we *are* making a difference.

Teri ; )

http://feminist4fathers.mensnewsdai ly.com
http://www.sharedparentingworks. org
http://true- equality.blogspot. com
http://www.mediarad ar.org
People for Family Law Reform: http://tinyurl. com/n65sy

Sample Letter to Judge Bryan Hedges

Honorable Judge Bryan Hedges
Onondaga County Family Court
401 Montgomery Street
Syracuse, NY 13202

Dear Judge Hedges:

Subject: John Murtari

I realize you are a busy man. I know that you see many cases in your courthouse each day, as do most judges across the country. Try as you might, it's not humanly possible to know enough about each case in the limited time you have with parents to get it right every time. I'm writing because I believe you got it wrong in the Murtari case.

I should start by telling you that I acknowledge there are parents who run from their responsibilities. I have ex-husbands who avoided paying their child support. One in fact, traded recording radio commercials for a local restaurant in exchange for free beer; a move I had to believe was done to avoid garnishment. Another never paid a dime, even while he was enlisted in the Army, something I hope parents no longer get away with.

John Murtari is nothing like my ex-husbands; he's a responsible man and loving father. Unlike my ex-husbands, who also abandoned my children emotionally and physically, John Murtari is in jail because he chose to remain in his son's life.

You allowed his ex-wife to move his son across the country, for reasons that are dubious. As much as I disagree with your decision, I won't address that now. What I will address is the fact that you have refused to include his travel expenses when calculating his child support. I wonder how you expected him to continue to parent his son if he wasn't to see him in person. You certainly can't believe a young boy doesn't need his father in his life.

Mr. Murtari hasn't had solid food since July 31 in protest of your sentence. That alone should show you the depth of his love for Domenic. His example is sure to teach Domenic the importance of standing up for your convictions. You can show Domenic the importance of admitting when you're wrong by letting his father go free when he asks you for a reduced sentence next week, allowing the travel expenses from here forward, and adjusting all arrears. I'd ask you to give Mr. Murtari the equal physical custody he and Domenic want, but I don't think I'll push my luck.

Please put yourself in Mr. Murtari's shoes. What would you have done with a young son across the country and a dying mother to care for in Syracuse? Put yourself in Domenic's shoes, who has made it clear he wants more time with his father. Will Domenic come out of this hating you, all judges or the family courts, or will he have a new respect for you, all judges and the family courts?

Respectfully,

Teri Stoddard
Founder
Shared Parenting Works

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Rate me on Eatonweb Portal Blog Directory
bad enh so so good excellent