Life Changing Injury

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Do parallel universes really exist?

In the Family Court of Australia

(from one of the assigned observers of the FCoA:)

Strange sensations. Today I entered a parallel universe.
The same Court building, same personnel. Everything was identical to what it had been for many years. But in this parallel universe, I watched Interim hearings.
Strange new words keep ringing out ‘substantial and significant contact’ until I became bored by their repetition.
Family reports being ordered that had to include the concept of shared parenting.

I heard strange and wonderful things.
In an Interim hearing a Father with a Son not yet 3 years of age being giving orders that allowed 5 nights overnight contact every 14 days! Checking. Yes, my watch was right. Daylight. And .. No this was another dimension, -- No Court ever does that.
The Father decides to withdraw his residency application, and the Court orders a Family Report based on Shared Care.

No, no, no .. This does not happen, perhaps it was not a parallel universe. Perhaps I was delusional And perhaps someone had slipped some hallucinogenic drug into my morning coffee.
I watched a couple agree to 3 and 4 day per week split for a 2 year old before going to a Final Hearing.
At one stage my mind connected with the Federal Magistrate and I read his thoughts about what he wanted to say. “Don’t waste any more money on Lawyers; ask me now for 50/50, Stop fighting and I can sign it in now."

This could not be the Family Courts of Australia -- But then I realised it was. It was. Really, it was the Family Courts of Australia.
I was listening to the application of the New Act. In 2 months the world had changed. I realised whatever had gone before was the old World, today was the new one.
Sometimes, after you mop up your own blood off the floor, you can't help smiling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Rate me on Eatonweb Portal Blog Directory
bad enh so so good excellent