Life Changing Injury

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Tautology

What is a tautology?

My constantly introspective and self-critical self asked me, "Why are you writing like this? You've never written so many tautologies before."
And, I had to admit he was right.
So... Why?

Mostly because I don't believe the right words are being used. And, maybe, I'm searching for them. The terms that should be used are like ... prejudice .. dispossession ... illegitimate .. inept .. and so on, but not many are willing to use them.
My tautologies are expressing my frustration and angst.

Let me illustrate with another type of tautology.

A friend who had heard my story said she thought my ex was a very brave and smart woman, who was determined to get what she wanted.
Nodding, I agreed.
So I said, "Let me take a hatchet, and embed it in your hip just between where the leg joins the pelvis."
"Now, while you're on the ground bleeding, let me kick you right there -- just below the ribs, the solar plexus, and drive the boot deep into your chest. I'll do it a few times, just for good measure."
"Then, because I don't want to appear heartless or cruel, I'll bandage your wounds so you don't bleed. And cover you with a blanket so you don't get cold. ... I'll show a few people that you're covered in the blanket, and tell them I can't understand why you don't get up."
"I'll tell you how stupid you were to let me hit you with the hatchet a few times."
"Now tell me how brave and smart I am for continuing to kick you in the gut for a couple of years."

A little overdone, but that's also a tautology. It is also a reasonable analogy for what happened to me, but I really need to add that the police and courts laughed at her, then awarded me a large sum. Then they fined her for trying to explain why she had a hatchet in her hip.
More tautology.
It doesn't matter how accureately a tautology expresses an idea. Just the idea that it's a tautology makes it something to be dismissed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Rate me on Eatonweb Portal Blog Directory
bad enh so so good excellent