Life Changing Injury

Saturday, January 27, 2007

The underbelly of the beast

There is the perennial joke about three blind men trying to describe an elephant.
One finds a rough wall; another a whiplike snake; and the third a huge hose. The joke has any number of punch lines, some lurid or disgusting, depending on the mood or attitude of the philosophy instructor. The real punch line is to show that people form perspectives on how they experience the whole, in this case an elephant.
I had one instructor who showed an elephant, then a second slide of a pile of elephant dung, which led to a long discussion about whether elephants got viral infections...

For almost two years now I have used this blog as a personal forum to pour out my frustrations and experience. It has documented efforts to understand the injustice and abuse I suffered first at the hands of my former partner, then before the social policies dominant in Australia. In the aussie vernacular, I was not impressed.
Articles were republished here with the permission of the authors even when I marginally disagreed with the comments or apparent purpose. Usually, I wholeheartedly agreed with the purpose, but had to force myself not to comment. These articles came from the many other forums, blogs, meetings and conversations I've attended over these years.

I found that I was collateral damage in a much larger struggle across Australia and the world. My former partner had simply taken advantage of a systemic prejudice against any man in a relationship in Australia, - probably best illustrated by an unreasonable but commonly taught statistic: 8 out of 9 men (87%) in relationships in Australia are abusive.
A statistic driven by the prejudice of the courts, and simply a greedy divorce industry, with no sense of social responsibility or democratic leadership.
If that statistic were true, then Australia would truly be a sick society. It is not, judgments on the current state of Australian democracy aside for the moment. I have found the people of Australia to be a warm and gentle people, male and female.

Because of my own bad experience, I might continue the analogy to say my experience as the guy behind the elephant - when it had diarrhea. This sort of experience is bound to shape a person's thinking.
My experience was further darkened by stumbling into other failings of Australian democracy: anti-Americanism fueled by a crude nationalism; the social stigma against the disabled; and the failure of the Australian education system to convey an understanding of democratic principles for citizens to believe in.
In every case, I had to take my own experience and interpolate causes, which is a process that left a bitter sense of uncertainty. It is too easy for anyone at any level to dismiss such conclusions with attractive rhetoric.
I was not privy to the facts, only the results.
Although many shared similar bitter experience, and formed a brutal cynicism, few would acknowledge or admit to the roots of the problems because they felt a need to be proud of their country. As an American who has endured the tortured times surrounding Nixon and Watergate, Reagan's attacks on social services, and now the Bush administration, I understand those feelings too well.
From the underbelly of the beast, the best you can hope for is to not get squashed.

It is gratifying to see that my conclusions drawn from limited experience were largely correct.
From The Age, today:

The Howard Government has been progressively dismantling the democratic processes that create the capacity for public debate and accommodate dissenting opinion. The tactics used to silence critics are diverse, including the withdrawal of government funding, threats to destroy the financial viability of dissenting organisations, appointment of party functionaries or friends to key positions, strict interpretation of laws governing release of information, and the targeting of individuals. One sector that has been a particular target of these efforts to silence dissent is the non-government sector.

In Australia, recent years have seen an unprecedented attack upon non-government organisations, most particularly upon those organisations that disagree with the current Federal Government's views and values. The attacks have come from the Government itself and from close allies such as the Institute of Public Affairs. Questions have been raised about NGOs' representativeness, their accountability, their financing, their charitable status and their standing as policy advocates in a liberal democracy such as Australia.

Finally, the name of an organization that has coordinated what I have seen and experienced.
I first saw the dismantling of advocacy over two years ago while working to modify the functionality of a database for a disability-oriented organization in Melbourne. One after another, the trainers and workers needed to share the story of how the agency had been forced from its advocacy role into training because funding had been cut.
Auditors had come through their offices, I was told, to ensure that their primary focus was not advocacy, because government policy was not to fund advocacy. I was appalled, but wanted to shake off the politics and get my work done. In time, I came to understand that this was a coordinated effort to dispel dissent across Australia as the Clive Hamilton and , spells out in some detail in his soon to be released book:

(above) This is an edited extract from Silencing Dissent: How the Australian government is controlling public opinion and stifling debate, edited by Clive Hamilton and Sarah Maddison. Published next week by Allen & Unwin, rrp $24.95

I have to wonder if this book will be restricted by the Howard government as "sedition" under the anti-terrorism laws still in full effect in Australia?

No one will call George W Bush a constitutional scholar. But how he could fete and honor John Howard nationally as the "Iron Man of Australia", and in the same breath say that Howard had employed methods from Manuel Noriega makes my head spin. Thankfully to date Mr Howard has not incorporated all of Noriega's methods. There are no death squads - that we are aware of.
The tone and attitude of Howard's national government for the last decade has filtered down to the state level though, at least in Victoria. Victoria's A/G, Rob Hulls, is cut from the same political cloth despite being a member of the opposition Labor Party. Although few Australians voice it, the sense of fear is culpable in many voices even if they will only speak of such things guardedly - meaning in tense voices only on the phone. I have been warned more than once about speaking my mind since the phones may be tapped.

The continued attacks on the advocacy work of NGOs, along with the survey responses described above, paint a bleak picture of the state of public debate in Australia, suggesting a high degree of coercion on the part of Australian governments.

Many NGOs are reluctant, if not afraid, to speak out.

While state governments are also guilty at times of pressuring NGOs to conform, the Howard Government's willingness to smother dissent poses a disproportionate threat to the democratic process in Australia.

As an American, I have to wonder if this is the sort of ally America wants or needs in this part of the world?
A point made in The Age article is privileged NGOs were openly invited to cabinet-level meetings, and that that is a federal crime in Australia; while other organizations were only met with closed doors and no funding. There was little question in many minds that something was wrong, but no one I met had any idea where to point the finger other than generally and meaninglessly at John Howard.
It's hard to say that the Nixon and Reagan (Iran-Contra) indictments were good for America. All in all, probably, but there was nothing pleasant or inspiring in them. How Australia would fare if members of a sitting or former government were jailed for criminal acts is hard to say. Bitter cynicism is easier to handle if you're helpless; frustration in the face of obvious guilt can damage a person or society for as long as memory remains.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • Hi Paul,

    Great Blog!

    Just wanted to comment on your comment that Aussies are "anti American" because of their crude nationalism. I must be an exception to your typically nationalistic Aussie, because I couldn't give a rats arse about the nation..... I'm more interested in the family that is this planet.

    Anyways my point is this, "anti Americanism" is a global phenomenon, not an Aussie one. No one really believes that Americans show the democratic, Christian, and Freedom-values which the masses are indoctrinated to believe they have a special gift for. Its pur propoganda, and the world can see it.

    Anyways, I've had my say. I hope you continue with this marvelous blog.... this Aussie really appreciates it, and the American who wrote it!

    Jason

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 PM  

  • Thanks, Jason.
    For some reason I get so few comments on this blog considering the controversial topic, it's great to see one!

    Often I find myself adding comments myself because there is so much that needs to be said. That's a little like talking to myself, yanno?

    Anti-Americanism has been brought sharply into focus recently by the reactions of both countries to the Iraq war, and the David Hicks affair. It's been the topic of a lot of conversations recently in my circle of friends, some are ex-pats from Ireland and the UK and others are native aussies. The near-fanatical anti-Americanism we've seen has surprised all of us.

    I ran into it during the last year or so looking for work.
    I put in a lot of time preparing myself to train on office productivity software - MSOffice and Sun OpenOffice, along with a number of other programs - and to learn the ins and outs of business in Australia. It's fair to say I know a lot about the Internet and website programming as well. With these skills, along with recent experience, you'd think I would have no problem finding a job. I was surprised repeatedly that I could not.
    I did a couple of contract corporate training gigs, and got nothing but glowing reviews - "professional", "knowledgable" and so forth.
    I couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing more calls for jobs.
    The story finally came out when one of the most popular trainers, who is a personal friend and professional mentor also, was told by the managing director of one of the largest training companies in Melbourne flatly, "I'm not going to hire an American."

    Up to that point, we had been wondering why I was constantly promised work, but never got a call. And yes, I realize this is grounds for a lawsuit, but if someone doesn't respect your good work and doesn't want you working for them, what's the friggin point?

    I was warned about the anti-American sentiment by my ex, but thought she was just looking for put downs. As it turned out, she knew her country too well...


    That was not the only incident.
    I went into one of the job network companies, and described the long hours I'd put in to hone my skills along with the Completion Certificates and Certifications that I'd earned.
    The "reverse marketer" turned to me and told me flatly that employers do not want employees who work to upgrade their skills.
    Therefore, the market for training was small.
    And most employers didn't want someone like me (who was constantly teaching himself new skills) because they were afraid s/he would just move on to a better job.
    She told me employers wanted people like her, who could barely perform the functions of her job on a computer.

    No, I am not kidding. This really happened. And I met and talked to this woman more than once.

    She suggested I should take a job in a factory - despite the fact that she could see my leg was still discolored and swollen, and had my records in front of her regarding surgery and disability.

    My friends and acquaintances said it was because I was an American. I have to admit I was more than a little incredulous, yet that was what they thought it was.

    What's happening with David Hicks is equally incredible. Hicks was found armed in a war zone. He could have been shooting Australians. He was trained to make bombs. The obvious purpose was for him to return to Australia to bomb Australians. As a white Muslim, his fanatical beliefs would have been much easier to conceal.
    Yet nearly nothing has been said about him but how unfairly he has been treated by Americans.
    Frankly, he should be brought back to Australia and hung for treason. (Yes, I know there is no death penalty here.)

    I've found anti-Americanism even in the development of this blog.
    I had intended it as an example for a number of other contributors to F4E to see what could be done with a blog. Yet there has been considerable resistance to the idea; and at least one person told me flatly that aussies don't like following an American.
    Again, ... incredulity.

    There are so many stories that need to be told in order to change the public perceptions of this problem. I had hoped to gather 100 bloggers from across Australia.
    I didn't care if I agreed with their style or what they had to say. I just wanted to see the stories before the public.
    In over two years, two people have actually started blogs. Four more have promised to blog, but never even started.
    Yet these same people will write volumes on F4E and other forums.

    I would have loved to have taken a job here in Australia, and continued this work on Mens' and Family Rights.
    I'll continue the work, but it will have to be from across the water where I can find work to support myself.

    In my opinion, Australia should look around a little. America, with all its faults, is the best friend this country has - on an individual and national level. I'm not excusing my country's failings. I'd warrant a guess that I know them far better than any Australian.
    But there are many things that America can be proud of, too.

    Paul

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:18 AM  

  • I suppose it is worth mentioning that the magistrate in court said to his clerk, ".. fat American .."
    Supposedly, that got onto the court recording - if it wasn't erased. As we've all noticed, there are some very careful editing that occurs in the courts.

    I never knew what it meant to be the target of prejudice before.
    I'm not prejudiced, and have always sympathized with the Blacks and Hispanics in America. This experience in Australia has been a lesson - like a kick in the guts is a lesson.

    Paul

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:22 AM  

  • It's amazing to see what you just push out of your mind.
    I'm susceptible to panic attacks which can lead to gran mal seizures.
    My ex used that fact against me many times when we were together. It's a medical diagnosis.
    The attacks are triggered by stress.

    That same magistrate watched me hyperventilating against a wall in a panic attack. I told him I couldn't continue. He snapped back that I would.
    He let my ex give testimony while I stood there hyperventilating, trying to talk myself out of going into a seizure.

    I don't know if it's anti-americanism that was the cause. Frankly at that point, I had no idea of anything.

    That magistrate should be removed. That was inhuman.

    He had seen me twice before in panic attacks. I'd tried to explain both times.
    I wonder what he thought was happening?
    Or if he knew, and was just amused.

    Paul

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:24 PM  

  • No doubt about it Paul, that anti-Americanism you faced as an individual in Australia is a sad testimony to our prejudice (and the world's prejudice). It's stereotyping.

    The Hicks case is interesting.... I think many people are just fixated on the military-island-lockup situation, and are so disgusted at what looks like a flagrant disregard for human rights which the U.S. hierarchy is swinging, that the dangerousness of Hicks can be somehow put next on the 'to deal with' list. One issue at a time- the most troubling first.

    The description you gave of the judges response to your panic attack is typical of the Australian Judicial system. I too was under severe panic on several occasions in court, even to the point of pathetically saying "I don't know what to do, I'm lost". The notorious Judge Fingleton smirked and tried to coach me in how to procede, but I felt like it was all for her entertainment. Interestingly, a private document that I provided to the Chief Magistrate in Brisbane complaining of fingleton's behaviour was shown to Fingleton and she was asked for an explanation. A week later My ex-wife was in posession of that document.... my daughter found it on her computer and sent it to me by email! I then found out that the Domestic Violence Liason Officer of that court was fingleton's freind, and that this DVLO is also my ex-wife's lesbian lover who represented my ex-wife in court in front of Fingleton!!

    Howdya like that one?

    I could see no point in challenging it further as the corruption was just too thick to contend with.

    Jason

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 PM  

  • It is a pity that more folks on F4E don't make blogs. Just thgink of the thousands of wasted testimonies which the world never gets educated via, because the F4E settings require that no posts stay for public reading. No wonder the feminasies are getting heard: they publish for all to see.

    I understand the reasons for F4E keeping privacy concerns, but in my humble opinion it is a very wrong move.... spies can join the ranks anyway, and do as they wish.

    All that writing, and spilt blood, seen by no-one except the occasional 'spokesperson'.

    Thank God for your blog.

    Jason

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 PM  

  • Would you like to write up your story and I'll post it on my blog?
    Not all at once, this sort of story is easier to convey if it comes in segments. Blog readers act from the same 'instant gratification' attitude as most who browse websites.

    I'll make a special Label for your story, so that if someone wants to read it all they can just click on the category/label.
    You can see the 'Labels' at the bottom of each post to see what I mean.

    Paul

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:23 AM  

  • You use two words that I find so often in people who have endured this prejudiced process: "notorious" and "amuse".

    Everyone who has tried to recant their story and put it into a reasonable context finds those words - and in the same context you and I use them.

    The court or judge is notorious for their prejudiced rulings.
    In my case, my ex was so certain of the outcome she threatened me over a year before initiating any legal action by saying, "I've found a way. I've found a way to have you removed from the house and to take control of all the contents."
    When I questioned her about it, she agreed she had no grounds. I didn't believe then that any court would fall for such an obviously contrived move. In fact, I didn't believe the consistent prejudice that I faced until I saw it for myself - from legal aid, individual barristers, police, 000 operators, and clerks working in the courthouse to name a few.


    She had never been threatened or struck. There were no bruises on anyone but me. She had hit me a couple of times.
    The police were never called to protect anyone before her falsified court action. And then, they were called to protect me and my rights, not her. -- Astoundingly, although I had called them, they came to arrest me!


    And we had had a number of conversations where I illustrated her abusive behavior and she could not deny it.
    She had tried to pin the label of "an anger problem" on me. But it wasn't hard to show that she was the person showing the signs of an anger problem - throwing and breaking things, etc.
    But after my surgery, she confidently went ahead with the legal action, and it worked.
    She knew the system was too prejudiced to see the truth, and she was right.

    The magistrates seemed amused at me every time I faced them. They were condescending and did not pay attention to the facts before them or the situation even in the courtroom.
    That attitude seems to be expected of magistrates by barristers and solicitors.
    I have met and talked to nearly 50 men, and all felt they were used for the amusement of the magistrate or judge - or the lawyers.

    I went to the courthouse a few times to see if my case was anomalous. It wasn't.
    A court clerk chuckled, "That'll never appear on the transcript!" when I told him about my being called a "fat American" by the magistrate.

    Somehow the people of Australia have to demand the respect of the magistrates and lawyers. Right now the people are treated like mentally deficient 'wards of the state'. I saw it for myself repeatedly, in my case and others.

    Paul

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:39 AM  

  • Paul,

    I will come back, in the months ahead, to your proposition that I write some of my story here. At present I still hurt too much to write (each time I try I get excruciating bodily symptoms), though I think that will pass with time as my legal trauma seems to be over. It is not 'just' for me to keep what happened to myself, and so I will return to this site and begin to write......

    At present I am publishing a book on Amazon about Alexithymia- a distructive psychiatric condition I had to contend with in my ex wife. The book is being printed and should be off my hands soon, leaving more time for writing here.

    Please keep up the good work... Australia has so few blogs, and you are carrying our flame.

    Jason

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Rate me on Eatonweb Portal Blog Directory
bad enh so so good excellent