Life Changing Injury

Friday, May 26, 2006

Readers Digest??

I used to laugh quietly when I heard someone say, "What is this world coming to ...?" because I saw idea and ideals gaining ground that could make a better world for everyone. Now, even Readers' Digest is teaching children not to ask a man for help?
"I helped a lost little girl by taking her to the store's service counter, and having them page her mother. I saw this as a chance to teach my 12-year old daughter, Kylie, a safety lesson.
"That girl did the right thing," I said. "Do you know why? Because she asked a woman for help, NOT A MAN."
Kylie looked at me mystified. "Why on earth would I ask a man for help if I was already lost?"
Submitted by STEPHANIE TAIT, Olathe, Colo. to Readers Digest."
-- from “Life in these United States”,
June 2006 issue on p. 197 at the bottom.


And what will this woman's daugher do if there are no women around when she needs help? Cower in a corner?
What could possibly have brought Stephanie Tait to the point that she would teach her daughter something like that?
And what sort of woman will her daughter grow up to be?
Can you imagine a woman who has been taught a fear of men since childhood? Not because of some traumatic event which skews her emotional balance, ... but by the force of her mother's words, forever echoing in the archetypal memory of her being.
How will this fear express itself in aggression? Fear is the driving force of aggression.
Will she, in turn, teach her daughters to fear men without reason?

Does Stephanie Tait realize that she is teaching her daughter discrimination and prejudice? -- very much the same as southern women in the US were once told to fear all blacks...

"Fear and prejudice are not something a child is born with. A child fears nothing. It has to be taught." -- Margaret Mead, anthropologist, about the Civil Rights Movement in the US


2 Comments:

  • May 27, 2006

    MOTHERS living in fear of attack by their teenage children have become the
    silent victims of so-called parent abuse, an Australian expert has told an
    Adelaide parenting conference.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:48 AM  

  • EMPTY PROTEST
    The dilemmas of life puzzle me. What a person usually does with these
    puzzles is to make an either/or decision. Either I say it's all beyond
    me and remain passive on the sidelines, or I figure out an idiology and
    come down hard with it. I think now there's a third way. Empty protest.
    I don't even know what's right. I have no answer. But I sure smell
    something wrong…
    I used to get stopped cold in my arguments. I would be going on
    about something, and the other guy would say, "All right, if you're so
    smart, what would you do about it?" And I had no positive idea of what to
    do, no program, nothing. It wasn't just that I was impractical; I was
    empty. My protests were suddenly emptied out because I had nothing
    positive to offer.
    ...
    -- James Hillman, from 'We've had a Hundred Years of Psychotherapy, and
    the World's Getting Worse'

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Rate me on Eatonweb Portal Blog Directory
bad enh so so good excellent