Life Changing Injury

Monday, June 05, 2006

In my case

In my case, we had negotiated a reasonable settlement for the house and its contents months before. The settlement was very much in her favour, intending to pay off all her credit card bills and return her down payment on the house.
After going through nearly a month in the hospital with major surgery – 26 days -- with the sick threat in the back of my mind that my things might be simply sitting out on the lawn, I knew the relationship was over.
When I returned from the hospital, Ob and I reiterated the agreement, and discussed other considerations. It was one of the very few relatively reasonable and mature conversations she and I had in over 4 years.

Ob had said she wanted Lob to finish her schooling in the house, and I was agreeable to it. Whatever issues had never been settled between Lob and myself, I didn’t hate her. She was a child who was under the influence of her mother.
Considering the relatively recent breakup of their family home of 23 years, that influence was irrational, but not unexpected.

Ob and I had talked about different options for the house.We both agreed that the house should not be sold in a rush. My plans were to take a job and move out. I was deeply saddened at the failure of the relationship because I saw it as a personal failure. I felt that I had the skills and determination to build the necessary communication in the relationship, and was willing to work on it.
Ob found something more in denying the effort to communicate and rebuild. She found she could build herself up to her daughter, children, and friends by not telling them the whole truth.

The lot was large enough that it might be possible in the future to redevelop it into units in a couple of years which would provide both Ob and myself with a good start on our lives. – And it would give Lob time to finish her coursework.
Ob simply decided that she wanted more, and found in the abuse of the Intervention Order process a means to get it.
She cynically and maliciously chose to abuse the Intervention Order process, and even coerced her daughter into supporting her. Lob's complaints were completely empty. Since when these actions were intiated, her mother had been living away from the house for a few months, I had made a point of not making it harder on Lob. I made every effort to be friendly and courteous to her. (There was no reason to punish her for her mother's failings.)

I have to admit that even now, after years, I am dumbfounded at the attitude of prejudice that I experienced from police, social and legal services, and even clerks and 000 operators. All of whom were conditioned to expect heinous crimes from me, and treated me like a criminal.
There was no evidence or reason for anything like that, but it didn’t matter.
It does not require a perfect world for a person to be treated with simple courtesy and not accused of things that are never proven. It does not require a perfect world for people in responsible positions to treat people as innocent until proven guilty.
It does require intelligent, professional training and administration though.

All totalled, Ob gained a few thousand dollars and. through half-truths and manipulations, the support of her family. She was very much aware of the prejudice of the system. She had threatened to use it with concocted evidence nearly a year before. (I have her words.)
When forced to acknowledge that there were no real grounds, Ob simply stated it didn't matter...

I would not easily accept that any legal system in a modern country could be so prejudiced and ignorant. That was my greatest weakness: my faith in the Australian system.
The Australian system failed everyone involved. The whole action by Ob was a waste of court and police time. Obviously, it failed me.
And it failed Lob. The brutal results taught her to lie in court; to use brutality towards the disabled to gain money; and that the Australian courts are not a place for justice, but a place to lie.

2 Comments:

  • The Chinese curse:
    It is interesting to remember that Ob declared many times that she was not a feminist. Indeed, that she hated what feminism had done to her country and the world.

    Yet, when it came time to strike back unfairly at me, to her financial advantage, she chose the most egregious example of feminists' legal dysfunction: the Intervention Order. And she worked for more than a year to lay the groundwork of betrayal, lies, and deception necessary to accomplish her primarily financial aims.

    Ob was simply a cruel opportunist.
    She betrayed the love and trust of everyone who loved her.

    The ironies in the situation are screaming wyries: Before this experience, I would have called myself a feminist. In fact, that was my answer to Ob's declarations of hating feminism.
    I would have laughed off Warren Farrell's books as exploitive or simply misinformed.
    I never believed that there were as many women beaten or attacked as was reported, but I might have seen the disinformation as necessary to provoke some action on the part of a sedentary male heirarchy.

    Now I see that there has been action. The actions taken have gone too far. The disinformation has become iconic, instead of necessary.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:44 AM  

  • Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Rate me on Eatonweb Portal Blog Directory
bad enh so so good excellent